How to Read & Write Data Using Apache POI – JAVA | DevstringxDiksha Gupta
Apache POI is a Java API to read and write Documents in .xls and .xlsx formats. It contains classes and interfaces. An Apache POI library provides two implementations to read an excel file:
- Horrible Spreadsheet Format (HSSF) Implementation: It’s an API that works with Excel 2003 or earlier versions.
- XML Spreadsheet Format (XSSF) Implementation: It’s an API that works with Excel 2007 or later versions.
Interfaces and Classes in Apache POI
- Workbook: It represents an Excel Workbook. This is an interface implemented by HSSFWorkbook and XSSFWorkbook.
- Sheet: This is an interface that represents an Excel worksheet. A sheet is a structure of a workbook, which represents the grid of cells. A Sheet interface extends java.lang.Iterable.
- Row: It is an interface that represents the row of the spreadsheet. The Row interface extends java.lang.Iterable
There are two classes: HSSFRow and XSSFRow.
- Cell: It is an interface. It is the representation of the cell in a row of a spreadsheet. HSSFCell and XSSFCell implement a Cell interface.
- HSSFWorkbook: It’s a class that represents the XLS file.
- HSSFSheet: It’s a class that represents the sheet in an XLS file.
- HSSFRow: It’s a class that represents a row in the sheet of the XLS file.
- HSSFCell: It’s a class that represents a cell in a row of XLS files.
- XSSFWorkbook: It’s a class that represents the XLSX file.
- XSSFSheet: It’s a class that represents the sheet in an XLSX file.
- XSSFRow: It’s a class that represents a row in the sheet of the XLSX file.
- XSSFCell: It’s a class that represents a cell in a row of an XLSX file.
Steps to Read Data From Excel file
Step 1: Create a simple Java project in the eclipse.
Step 2: Now, create a library folder in the project.
Step 3: Download and add the following jar files in the library folder:
Step 4: Set the Class-Path:
Right-click on the project ->Build Path ->Add External JARs -> select all the jar files -> Apply and close.
Step 5: Now create a class file with the name ReadFile and write the following code in the file.
Step 6: Create an excel file with the name “student.xls” and input some data in it.
Step 7: Save and run the program.
Example of Reading Excel File
Read Also:- How to Import Excel Data to SQLite DB Using Java
Writing Data In Excel File